Tuesday, May 23, 2006

americans, you scare me

i'm a little apprehensive of going to USA liao..

watched Crash in the office today whilst marking another bunch of boring reading assignments. Crash paints a pretty frightening scene of USA cos the racism hits you straight away. and how misunderstandings arise and how people act on existing misconceptions just to vent, making the situation even worse. one side-story that had me on the edge was the confrontation between hispanic lock repairmen and the muslim shopkeeper, how the daughter jumped out to save the dad from the gunshot..

very very cool editing. and a surprise happy ending. (muslim guy fired blanks unknowingly)

what scares me is not only the racism, but the flagrant, wanton use of guns. When I read about Bill Bryson's comment that more Americans have been killed from the authorized sales of guns as compared to those saved by using the gun for self protection, I simply shook my head and shrugged it off.

but now i'm going to the country. where children mistakingly play with guns and shoot themselves. where ignorant people use guns to threaten others and accidentally trigger. in army, we are thought NEVER to place our fingers on the trigger unless we have confirmed our target, but these people know nothing of such rules.

americans, you truly scare me.

No comments: