Sunday, January 08, 2006

evangelising for what?

honestly sometimes people just don't get the whole Christians trying to convert the whole world into Christianity, finding the whole concept ridiculous, intolerant and just plain arrogant, as though MY religion is BETTER than YOURS.

i know some Christians give God a really bad name, and i am trying myself not to become like that.. but... just some insights...

when someone actually approaches you to tell you the Gospel, (or as you call it conversion) have you ever wondered what he stands to gain from the whole thing? have you ever wondered why the heck he would have the courage to do such a thing and risk a friendship or just outright rejection?

for what? for money? for the addition of more members into the church so quotas are met and more money goes into offerings? for the tweaking of statistics to show one dominating religion? for a simple disdain for another's religion?

i think the answer is pretty obviously not from the above.

then?

i dunno about others. i never mustered enough courage to actually go tell someone the Gospel mainly cos i was so insecure of my friendships that I was afraid of losing them by adding religion into the conversations. Furthermore I always felt my actions in life were paltry examples of a life inspired by God.

yet, I REALLY wanted to share the Gospel to many of my friends. because I truly believed what I believed WAS the real deal and WAS life changing. I cared and loved each of these friends and wanted them too to share this great present.

in fact, having experienced how friends drifted apart through distance and time, I wanted to ensure these close friends of mine would be in Heaven for eternity. Imagine that! Isn't that really the greatest picture of Heaven? For me, it definitely is.

so that's that. I still don't have the courage so I will only stay at the sidelines and continue to pray to God to work in their hearts. Hopefully one day, sooner than later perhaps, the courage from God will come.

oh well, and to people who feel offended after reading this, please don't. there really isn't any reason to be. think about it.

No comments: